Your Vacation Footcare Guide
by Judy Baldinger
A year ago
Most of us know that the best way to capture all of the phenomenal views and sites, as well as new environments and cultures while exploring on vacation is to do many of those things on foot. Whether your travels take you on a city exploration or mountain expedition, it's important to make sure your feet don’t slow you down while your body and mind are still shouting, “GO! EXPLORE!”
Do any of the following foot-related scenarios listed below sound familiar to you?
- A blister that annoys you with each step?
- Wearing open-toed summer footwear and find it’s rubbing and causing irritation?
- Worrying about cleanliness while away from home?
- Your feet hurt and shoes don’t feel comfortable for a full day while you’re out and about?
Almost all of us have found ourselves with at least one of these scenarios weighing on us in everyday life or while you’re trying to enjoy your vacation.
Whether you’ve planned an end of summer trip or you’re getting away later this year or next, it’s best to plan your foot care in advance so you’re able to enjoy your trip.
When you take care of your feet and you’re prepared, your feet can take you to all the places you’ve dreamed of going!
How can you make sure your feet are in their best condition prior to your vacation?
To make sure your feet are in their best condition before vacation and are ready to take you where you want to go, I recommend my favorite method that I call prep, pad, pamper.
Prep Your Feet for Vacation
- Check your feet at least two weeks before your trip. Pay attention to your nails, skin, and if you see any corns, calluses, or cracks. Address any issues you may see with over-the-counter methods. If problems persist see a podiatrist before you leave. To read more about what to do if you have corns, calluses or cracks, I recommend reading, “All About Products for Calluses.”
- Pack and coordinate proper foot care for each aspect of your trip. Since you may be spending hours in your shoes and on your feet, it’s best to prepare to control the odor and sweat. We offer a perfect solution! Check out our Sweat & Odor Collection of products to help.
- Pre-treat your feet in any spots that typically become painful with our safe, all-natural Topricin Foot Therapy Cream.
- The #1 rule: Always wear shoes that fit properly!
- Break-in any new shoes so that you don’t have any painful surprises.
- Pack and coordinate proper foot care for each aspect of your trip by wearing activity appropriate shoes. That includes sturdy walking shoes if you plan to tour, hiking boots for any mountain trekking or hikes, and refrain from open-toed shoes while biking.
- For those of you who just enjoy the beach, make sure to protect your feet on the hot sand and wet pool areas. It’s important to plan ahead to feel your best!
Pad Your Feet & Shoes
- Plan in advance to compensate for any foot problems you may have. This includes heel pain, bunions, and hammertoes that may be painful or slow you down during your trip. A great suggestion to help these conditions can be found in our collection of Cushion & Protection Collection of products that include medical-grade silicone padding.
- Add orthotics to improve the alignment of your feet and the comfort of in both dress shoes and casual shoes.
- Don’t forget socks! They prevent abrasions and absorb sweat.
Lastly, the most fun step, time to pamper!
Pamper Your Feet
- Give your feet the love they deserve. Your feet take the brunt and beating of long days and nights! So take the time to soak your feet, massage, moisturize, and restore for joint and muscle pain.
Travel Foot Care Recommendations
Whether you’re dealing with cleanliness, blisters, sweat, or odor, here are some of my recommendations to take on your next vacation. All of these products are ideal for travel because they take up minimum space but have maximum impact!
Topricin Foot Therapy Cream
Relieve foot and ankle inflammation and pain with this odorless and greaseless topical cream. Comprised of homeopathic ingredients this safe and effective cream helps heal soft tissue injuries by reducing swelling.
Feet First Spa Buffing Pad
Keep your feet soft and smooth. Feet First Buffing Pad gently, safely, and quickly removes calluses and hard skin. An effective, non-abrasive 'green' solution. Great for your at-home pedicure.
Tea Tree Ultimates® FungaSoap®
Win the fungus battle! This patented soap is enriched with Tea Tree Oil — used since ancient times as a disinfectant, to fight germs, and as an antiseptic to help prevent infection. Use alone, as a complement to antifungal medications, and for longer-term relief and prevention of foot and body fungus problems.
PediFix SoreSpot Blister and Skin Protection Bandages
Prevent, protect and soothe with a unique liquid-filled bandage that minimizes friction and shear. Appropriate for blisters, corns, and calluses.
NUFOOT Ballet Flats
Find comfort and style in a ballet flat that is the perfect mix between socks and slippers. Ultralight, seamless, and affordable, neoprene slippers are so easy to wear. You get that great barefoot feeling combined with a slip-resistant sole that fits your foot snuggly, stretching in every direction for comfort, Your feet will be happy, clean and warm.
Gilden Tree Complete Healthy Feet Kit-Travel Size
Your complete travel foot care kit. TLC on the go to soak, scrub, moisturize, and protect your feet.
Soothe & Heal™ Silicone Tape
Unique, self-adhering Silicone Tape dispenses and adheres easily to protect sensitive skin from shear, pressure, and friction. Self-sticking, with easy release. Polyurethane backing for strength and durability. Shields Skin from Shear, Pressure & Friction
Make sure to stay tuned for more footcare tips, tricks, and hacks to help keep you moving!