Why do my feet hurt even when I wear sneakers?
Your feet hurt and assume it’s your shoes. Good bye heels, platforms, dress shoes, and strappy sandals. We often hear “bad shoes ruined my feet.” Sure you sacrificed to look great and feel polished, but shoes mostly aggravate foot problems and do not cause foot problems.
In our new WFH reality comfort has become a priority. Sneakers seem like the most comfortable solution, so why do my feet still hurt even when I wear sneakers?
- Fit: Your sneakers may not fit well and as your feet slide side to side or front to back you may actually aggravate a neuroma or flat feet, or even feel a burning sensation.
- Overuse: Your feet need a break. You have just been on your feet too long.
- Soft without support: As much as we would like to feel we are walking on pillows this is not the best practice for comfort. These are the popular Crocs type of shoes.
- Worn Out Shoes: Your trusty go-to sneakers may no longer give your the support they once did. Interior parts may be worn, foam may degrade and treads may have worn down.
Shoes that have extra cushioning may not provide the support. According to Dr.’s Huppin and Hale podiatrists in Seattle the best cushioned shoe is a maximalist shoe that has the cushioning built into the sole. This type of shoe is engineered to combine cushioning, a rocker sole plus stability, and:
“… can decrease pressure under the heel and under the ball of the foot. For this reason these shoes can be helpful for people with ball-of-foot pain and heel pain such as plantar fasciitis…foot arthritis and tarsal tunnel syndrome.”
What can I do to make my shoes more comfortable?
- Rigid under the arch and bend as your feet bend at the ball of your foot.
- Fit and size. Make sure shoes are neither too long, too narrow or too wide.
- Pad areas that tend to get painful.
- It may be your feet. Alignment are your feet rolling in or out? An orthotic can improve alignment and comfort. If you don’t feel better see a podiatrist.
- Buy quality shoes made of leather that ‘mold to your feet.’
- Pretreat muscle and joint pain before it happens.
Take action now and eliminate foot pain.
Keep moving with Pedicurian.