Home Foot Reflexology
by Judy Baldinger
8 months ago
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."
-Viktor E. Frankl
We are all going through unusually stressful times. We do not have a precedent in our lives on how to navigate a pandemic with unpredictable and unknown consequences for our health, families and finances. For our mental health it is important to find our ‘space.’
Create some space, relax your body and soul with a foot massage. Why does a foot massage make you feel so good?
Foot massage can:
- Improve circulation.
- Reduce tension.
- Create a general feeling of bliss.
- Relieve foot swelling.
- Ease aches and pains.
And it is something you can do yourself!
There are many types of foot massage. Most often you hear about Reflexology.
What is reflexology?
Reflexology is an ancient healing practice based on the principle that there are reflex points on the feet that correspond to the body’s different organs and glands.
The toes relate to the head, the balls of your feet to the heart and lungs, the arches to the abdomen and its organs, the heel to the pelvis, legs, and feet. Its practitioners consider it a treatment, and not a massage. The medical community classifies Reflexology as alternative medicine.
Whatever form of thought you choose you, and your feet, will feel better and more relaxed.
How do I give myself a foot massage?
- Start with a clean foot.
- Apply a bit of oil or skin cream. Scent is optional!
- Sit in a comfortable chair. Bend your left leg and rest your left foot gently on your right thigh.
- Start with gently massaging and stretching your toes from the base to the tip and in between. Continue to the arch and heel. Use your knuckles here for a deeper sensation. Use both hands. Continue to top of the foot and up to your ankle bone.
- Repeat on your other foot.
- Shortcut: Use a massage ball for the arch and heel area.
Note: This is not what you would receive if you went to a trained Reflexologist but it a nice method for some pain relief and R&R while at home during this period.